HARRINGTON PARK, N.J. — Harrington Park has set a 7 p.m. curfew for unaccompanied minors on Mischief Night, Oct. 30, and on Halloween, Oct. 31.
Safe Kids Worldwide offered tips to help trick-or-treaters have fun and drivers out of danger:
- Cross the street at corners, using traffic signals and crosswalks.
- Put electronic devices down and keep heads up and walk, don’t run, across the street.
- Watch for cars that are turning or backing up. Teach children to never dart out into the street or cross between parked cars.
Trick or Treat With an Adult
- Children under the age of 12 should not be alone at night without adult supervision. If kids are mature enough to be out without supervision, they should stick to familiar areas that are well lit and trick-or-treat in groups.
- Keep Costumes Both Creative and Safe
- Decorate costumes and bags with reflective tape or stickers and, if possible, choose light colors and non-restrictive masks.
- Have kids carry glow sticks or flashlights to help them see and be seen by drivers.
- When selecting a costume, make sure it is the right size to prevent trips and falls.
Drive Extra Safely on Halloween
- Slow down and be especially alert in residential neighborhoods. Children are excited on Halloween and may move in unpredictable ways.
- Take extra time to look for kids at intersections, on medians and on curbs.
- Enter and exit driveways and alleys slowly and carefully.
- Eliminate any distractions inside your car so you can concentrate on the road and your surroundings.
- Drive slowly, anticipate heavy pedestrian traffic and turn your headlights on earlier in the day to spot children from greater distances.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.